Allen Rostron of the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law says:
Americans have always cherished certain ideals about our justice system. You may win or you may lose, but you are entitled to have your day in court.
Last week, President Bush created a significant exception to that principle when he signed the “Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act,” a federal law that gives the gun industry a broad, nationwide immunity from legal responsibility for its actions.
...(ommitted several paragraphs)...
The immunity bestowed on the gun manufacturers and dealers by the new statute eliminates that valuable threat of civil liability. Congress and President Bush have given the industry the special immunity it desperately wanted, but innocent people will bear the consequences of this misguided effort to reduce the gun industry’s incentives to conduct business in safe, reasonable, and responsible ways.
Here we have another example of an intellectually dishonest elitist that just knows the world would be better off if only he and his ilk could control everyone else. Historically, that philosophy resulted in fascists and socialist dictatorships that brutalized the populace in order to maintain the dictators’ personal power, wealth, privilege, and corruption.
Five simple facts:
1) The Constitution, upheld by the Supreme Court, has prevented big brother government from disarming law abiding citizens.
2) The National Instant Criminal Background Check (NICS) already screens gun buyers for criminal records to stop convicted criminals from buying guns through legal channels.
3) The rest of us are innocent until proven guilty, and we retain our right to bear arms under the constitution.
4) The right to bear arms has little meaning unless arms manufacturers can run legitimate and viable businesses to supply the arms needed by our citizens.
5) The dishonest professor knows this, and he is trying to violate our constitutional right to bears arms by violating another constitutional right to engage in commerce.
6) Finally, the right to bear arms is beneficial to liberty and safety. Crime rates go down in States where law abiding citizens are permitted to carry concealed weapons.